Dear Union City Residents,
The City of Union City and the Union City School District are in regular communication with the Centers Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and our local health department to closely monitor the news about the current outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) and its possible impact on our community. The health and safety of our residents is our highest priority, along with continuing to provide our children with an excellent education. Our school district continues to follow daily best practices in cleaning procedures, increasing their frequency and adding additional measures for disinfecting and sanitizing all school buildings and transportation vehicles.
Here are some important actions and everyday habits we can do to protect ourselves and others from the virus:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or into your sleeve, not with your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after coughing and sneezing.
- If using hand sanitizer, be sure it contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Use paper towels or knuckles/elbows, if possible to open doors, push elevator buttons, pushing grocery carts, ring bells, etc.
- Stay home if you're sick, especially with a fever.
- Call to report school absence.
- Seek medical care if symptoms worsen.
We want to remind parents to keep children home when they are sick. Children should not return to school unless they have been fever-free without medication for 24 hours. Adhering to these measures will guard against the spread of infections and germs in our school.
If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact the 24/7 hotline at 1-800-222-1222 or visit the following link: https//www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/ncov.shtml
Thank you for your attention and cooperation.
Mayor Brian P. Stack
Superintendent of Schools